Welcome to the podcast series fixing the broken world of work, it has been a mission of Focus to deliver the best content to business leaders and managers so they can make their workplaces better and help to develop their teams and departments.
Season 1 is action-packed with brilliant stories, tips and actionable advice.
Each Fixing The Broken World Of Work Podcast is broken down below with why listen and the important topics we discussed, this should help you decide which podcast to start with.
Listen to the podcasts below and don’t forget to follow on your podcast app of choice:
Quick Links To Listen To:
- Briony Gunson on breathwork, anxiety and meditation
- Sharon Aneja on Positive Psychology & leadership
- Jo Twisleton on helping to transform businesses and business leaders
- Andy Reid on leadership & joy
- Matt Roberts on helping companies have the right conversations
- Luke Kyle on company culture & using NPS
- Peter Hopwood on helping leaders step up and build connection
- Colin Newlyn on being decrapifying work and improving work for you
Briony Gunson – Mindset Coach, Meditation Trainer & Breathwork Facilitator
Why Listen: Briony talks about her incredible transition from Marketer to facilitator and coach. Briony tells her very personal story and journey, from her own struggles with mental health to helping so many with breathwork, meditation and the future of psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy.
Briony and I discuss:
- Mental health and why it is so important to be aware of
- How mental health is evolving How your mental health can help to transform physical health
- Why early morning open-air swims have been so important to Briony and her journey
- Why Therapy and therapists role in peoples lives are so important, hint it’s more than the therapy sessions
- Why breathwork is so important to tackling anxiety and stresses
- Why our bodies are driven by our breath and controlling our breath
- Why Personal development starts with you
- Everyone is facing similar challenges – it’s how you find the best course of action
- Why retreats are going to be so popular and a necessary part of life and work
Connected with Briony on:
Sharon Aneja – Founder @ Humanity Works Consultancy
Why Listen: Sharon takes us on her incredible journey and why being a Positive Psychology coach is so important to her and for any workforce. Sharon shares a couple of brilliant frameworks and practices to improve any business.
What Sharon and I discuss:
- The importance of mental health and wellbeing
- Why psychological flexibility is so important
- Why command and control management fails their people and their business
- Why businesses and managers wait for people to get stressed and burnt out rather than proactively addressing such important topics
- The awakening businesses require
- Why gamification can be negative
- the opportunity to be able to partner with organizations who are courageous enough to want to get to the heart of issues
- How a routine operation changed Sharon’s life completely
- And why every “leader” should have therapy
Connected with Sharon on:
Jo Twistleton – Director @ Twist Consultants
Why Listen: Jo has over twenty years in helping to transform businesses and business leaders. Listen to hear how to help shape organisations and make businesses more successful.
What Jo and I discuss:
- Why a client that actually want to do change better are the best clients
- Why coaching and mentoring is invaluable
- Why the next phase of return to the office is so important to set company culture
- What leaders need to remember – leveraging other people’s skills when they are better at things than they are
- Why there is rarely a stupid question
- Time management & reducing meeting culture
- If you nail collaboration you win business
- When team responses are so important
Connect with Jo On:
Andy Reid – Founder @ Genius Box
Why Listen: Having helped some of the biggest names in business Andy will help you understand that business is about people and why workshops are so powerful for businesses that want to succeed.
What Andy and I discuss:
- Leadership and the challenges of leadership
- The lack of joy in work and bringing it back
- The science of how the mind works
- The power of storytelling
- The art of running brilliant workshops for executives
- Facilitating the right environment for the best ideas to flourish
- Creating voices for everyone not just the HiPPO
- Why leaders has to inspire
Connect With Andy On:
Matt Roberts – CEO @ Zokri
Why Listen: As a multi-time business builder, Matt provides unique insights into how his leadership in the software space can help to improve conversations and goal setting not just through software but a combination between software and people.
What Matt and I discuss:
- The power of the conversation
- Importance of communications and priorities
- Setting people up to have the right conversation with the right frameworks
- Structured conversations having better organisation outcomes
- Building software to empower teams to have the most important conversations and the resistance when software tells you what you should prioritize
- Workplace safety “where people feel in a safe place to say what needs to be said to share their ideas, to disagree, to, problem solve, to innovate, to share ideas”
- The best managers and teachers lead with trust
- Why transparency should build confidence
Connect with Matt on:
Luke Kyte – Head of Culture @ Reddico.
Why Listen: Luke has helped to transform his agency Reddico company culture from struggling to hire to becoming one of the best places to work in the UK and why company culture and self-management is so important.
What Luke and I discuss:
- How company culture should be shaped
- Why self management system can and does improve agencies and businesses
- What it took to get to a world class 96 NPS score
- Empowering individual’s to do a really amazing job is a key factor to success
- Why circles (like SWARM’s) helps to get the best work done
- Company culture is the marketing tool, not a PR tool
- How word of mouth can be the best hiring tool
- How to win the Hybrid workplace
Connect with Luke On:
Peter Hopwood – Speaker & TEDX Coach
Why Listen? Peter is helping shape leaders and TEDX coaches to improve their leadership and delivery on essential messaging. If you are a leader of a startup to a large business this is a podcast for you.
What Peter and I discuss:
- How to step up as a leader
- Why leadership is often the smaller unspoken steps we take, such as mental nods, gestures and the tone we use when speaking
- Why storytelling is more than a buzzword and will take leaders up many steps
- Bias – how we can overcome bias in our teams minds
- How to rebuild trust when may have lost trust from your team
- How to tackle remote and hybrid work leadership differently
Connect with Peter On
Colin Newlyn is on a mission to de-crapify work.
Why Listen? Colin has started his journey to help others address modern-day work and help to reshape people’s workday and careers.
What Colin and I discuss:
- The tips to de-crap-ify work
- How leadership is about leading
- Why we all should be more pirate and vote in and out our leaders
- The work week schedule can be rethought and disrupted
- Why the commute should come under review
- Why proximity still dictate success – but should not
Connect With Colin:
Binge Listen To All Of The Podcasts
Need Help Shaping Your Hybrid Workplace?
Download The Free Hybrid Work Guide
Love The Podcast? Subscribe To Become A Better Leader!
FYI: The intro music and outro music is from pixelbay.