It is rare that you find a priceless podcast on leadership that you should pay for. This is one of those you feel you should have paid for.
This podcast with General Stanley McChrystal on the Knowledge Project podcast (I highly recommend signing up for their newsletter) with Shane Parrish.
Watch Or Listen Below
Quote of the podcast:
“When I was a brand-new lieutenant, I asked my father, “How would I know if somebody that I worked for or worked for me was going to be a good commander in combat? … How would you tell in peacetime?” He says, “You won’t. You won’t know because people have capabilities or coping mechanisms that in peacetime look fine, that doesn’t play well in war.”
Then I asked him, “Okay, when you’re in combat, how do you know?” He said, “Some people keep asking for more information and what they’re trying to do is drive uncertainty to zero so that there’s really not a question on the right course of action because you know everything.” But you can’t do that. It’s not achievable. So they become hesitant.
They become tentative, and they become focused on getting more and more information to ratchet the uncertainty out of the situation and they don’t act.”General Stanley McChrystal & Shane Parrish
Why listen to this masterclass with General Stanley McChrystal:
- Commander’s intent
- Threats vs. vulnerabilities framework and maths
- Detecting and avoiding threats
- Decision making framework
- Why tiredness is making us more risk averse in 2022
- How to make decision’s in moral dilemma’s
- Why money and bonuses hurts the cilivan leadership and workplace (and helps in the military)
- Why person and organisational values need to work together and the who they are is so important to perform
- Training Matters: Military takes average talents and drive way above average results
- War time decisions are big time decisions but is rarely needed in peace time (due to laws and rules)
- Why history will help
- Why stress management is personal but there are guides you can follow
- How to develop mental toughness
- How to teach self discipline
Listen to the fixing the broken world of work podcast.
Fixing The Broken World Of Work With Briony Gunson 🧘♀️ – Focus Podcast With Danny Denhard – Fixing The Broken World Of Work Podcast
- Fixing The Broken World Of Work With Briony Gunson 🧘♀️ – Focus Podcast With Danny Denhard
- Fixing the broken world of work podcast with Colin Newlyn 🏴☠️
- Fixing The Broken World Of Work With Peter Hopwood
- Fixing The Broken World Of Work With Andy Reid
- Fixing The Broken World Of Work With Jo Twiselton